Foods to Avoid
- Ice – It’s so cold it hurts your mouth anyways, so just avoid it.
- Foreign objects – Pens, Pencils, Fingernails, Straws, etc.
- Hard & Sticky Chewy Candies – Jolly Ranchers, Hard peppermints, Blow Pops, Jaw breakers, Starburst, Now-N-Later, Tootsie Roll, Taffy, Skittles, etc.
- Sticky chewy candies – Starburst, Now-N-Later, Tootsie Roll, Taffy, Skittles, etc.
- Chewy & Hard snacks – Power Bars, Rice crispy treats, Pretzels, Fritos, Corn Nuts, Thick or hard tortilla chips, Nuts, etc.
- Tough breads – Thick pizza crust, Bagels, Hard rolls, etc.
- Corn-on-the-Cob – The braces can get caught in the cob, cut corn off cob to eat
- Popcorn – The hulls get under your braces and cause gum infections
- Sugary Drinks – Can weaken enamel and cause cavities
- Carbonated soft drinks – Contains phosphoric acid and can cause enamel staining and cavities
Proper brushing and flossing will keep your teeth and gums healthy and keep your breath smelling fresh
Remember to keep regular appointments with your family dentist. You should have a checkup and cleaning every six months. (We may recommend additional checkups or cleanings if needed). It will be important to remember to brush your teeth twice a day. Remember to brush your gums and angle your tooth brush in such a way to remove plaque and debris both above and below the brackets (especially between the brackets and your gums)
Call us if something seems loose or broken ~ We’re always here for you to make sure your treatment goes quick and smooth. The truth is, if you let a broken bracket sit for a couple of days or weeks, the tooth could move, adding a substantial amount of extra time to your treatment. We all want this process to go as quickly as possible, so don’t hesitate to give us a ring if something seems broken or just a little off. The best way to avoid unnecessary appointments is to call us as soon as you are aware that something is wrong.