Orthodontic braces will help you to achieve the beautiful, straight, healthy smile that you’ve always wanted! However, the time you spend wearing your braces is an investment in your future smile. We know that it’s difficult to care for your oral health when undergoing orthodontic treatment. It can be challenging to floss, brush, avoid some of your favorite foods, and endure bad breath.
Here at Garlock Orthodontics, we want to give you a few tips on how to keep your breath fresh during orthodontic treatment, so you don’t feel self-conscious when wearing your braces.
Fresh Breath During Orthodontic Braces
- Brush Often – Make sure your brush your braces often. First thing in the morning, after your meals, and right before heading to bed. Removing any food debris from your braces will help you keep your breath fresh.
- Drink Water – Dry mouth can contribute to bad breath, so if your mouth is feeling dry, make sure to drink plenty of water. Keeping your saliva production high can help you keep your breath fresh.
- Avoid Sugar – Sugary foods and sodas can contribute to bad breath. We suggest sticking to grains, protein, dairy, and produce, as long as the food you eat is safe for your dental braces. If you do eat a sugary meal, be sure to brush immediately after.
- Use Mouthwash – Not only will mouthwash rid your mouth of smelly bacteria, but the minty flavors will contribute to fresh-smelling breath. In order to make sure the mouthwash is doing its job, swish it around in your mouth for at least 30 seconds.
- Visit the Dentist – Lastly, it’s important to keep your regular dental appointments for teeth cleanings and exams during your orthodontic treatment. This is the best way to make sure all odorous plaque and bacteria have been thoroughly cleaned from the teeth.
The best way for you to keep your teeth clean and your breath fresh is to practice good oral hygiene. This includes brushing at least twice a day, flossing daily, using mouthwash, and visiting your dentist for regular dental cleanings and exams.
For more tips on caring for your braces, or to make an appointment with Dr. Garlock, please contact Garlock Orthodontics today. Our office is located here in Aurora, Colorado.