It’s no secret that kids absolutely love eating some specific types of foods. Crunchy snacks and sticky candies are some of the top favorites of most kids. However, it can get a little complicated for them to eat and snack after getting braces. There are mainly two reasons behind this.
- Some snacks cause discomfort to the teeth under orthodontic treatment.
- Other foods may damage the orthodontic device attached to their teeth.
Although getting braces isn’t painful, there will be a short period afterward that will be uncomfortable. This is because the teeth will take a little time to adjust to the new device in the mouth.
Changing eating habits and learning to chew with a sore mouth is one of the most important things that anyone who gets braces needs to learn, whether it’s a kid or an adult. To make this process easier, you can switch to braces-friendly foods. Following are some of the foods that are ideal to consume while wearing braces.
- Any type of pasta, including spaghetti, macaroni, lasagna, etc. (make sure that you don’t add any hard ingredients).
- Potatoes or other cooked vegetables. (some crunchy vegetables could be damaging if you consume them raw, but most cooked vegetables are good to go.)
- Pancakes, waffles, and French toasts.
- Cereals. Cold oatmeal is a particularly great option.
- Cheese. (any kind can be consumed as long as it’s not too hard to bite.)
- Fish, soft meat, and boneless poultry.
- Salads with softer ingredients. (salmon, tuna, eggs, etc.)
- Soft fruits.
Adding these foods to your or your kid’s diet while keeping any hard or crunchy food out can help adjust to the braces and prevent any unlikely accidents with the wires.
If you live in or near Centennial, Foxfield, Ponderosa East, please visit our website. Dr. David Garlock at Garlock Orthodontics can help you with any orthodontic issues that you may be suffering from.