Even though it isn’t the most fun item on your to-do list, practicing good dental hygiene habits is vital in maintaining healthy teeth and gums. Below are a few fun and interesting dental facts to make your oral hygiene routine a bit more exciting!
- Each animal species has a varying shape, size, and amount of teeth based on their diet and other needs. For example, humans have 32 teeth, dogs have 42, cats only have 30, and pigs have 44!
- Not only did the Egyptians invent toothpaste, but they were also the first to perform root canals on their teeth.
- If a reptile loses a tooth, it can produce as many more as it needs! Reptiles can have up to 3,000 teeth over their lifetime.
- Teeth are the hardest part of the body, and are even stronger than your most dense bone.
- Approximately 3 million miles of dental floss is purchased each year in the United States.
- The first chewing gum was called “chicle,” and it was made from the Sapodilla tree sap. The Aztec people would boil the sap, cut it into strips, and thus the first chewing gum was born!
- George Washington’s dentures weren’t made of wood! They were made of ivory, lead, and hippopotamus teeth, making for an even stranger set of dentures.
- According to Consumer Reports, dentists rate among the top 5 most trusted professionals in America.
- Humans can produce up to 100,000 gallons of saliva in an average lifespan.
- One out of every 2,000 babies is born with teeth already in the mouth.
- Around $2 billion is spent on dental products annually. These products include toothbrushes, toothpaste, and mouthwash.
The best way to care for your teeth is to make sure you’re brushing twice a day, flossing every day, and visiting your general dentist for a cleaning and an exam. For information about Aurora dental braces, please call Garlock Orthodontics today.