Smiles are universal gestures that let the people around you know that you’re friendly, approachable and that you feel good. We smile when we’re feeling happy, but smiling can also help us feel better, even if it’s not a genuine smile. This means that we should never underestimate the power of smiling!
Benefits of Smiling
Below are a few of the benefits of showing off your beautiful smile:
- Feel better – Smiling releases dopamine and endorphins in the brain. These both fight stress and even act as natural painkillers.
- Improve your mood – According to research, smiling is a cyclical process. Even if you have a fake smile, it sends signals to the brain that it’s time to feel happier. Once the brain releases endorphins, you really will feel better! Smile until you feel better!
- Be more approachable – In studies of attraction, people consistently rank smilers as being more attractive. A smile communicates that you’re fun, relaxed, and sincere.
- Make others happier – When others see you smile, they’re more likely to smile themselves. And, as discussed above, even insincere smiles can increase happiness.
- Get healthier – People who smile more often have lower cortisone levels. Cortisone is the stress hormone, and lower levels of it will lead to a healthier heart.
Improving Your Smile in Aurora, Colorado
Here at Garlock Orthodontics, we know that people who are more confident with their smiles are much more likely to show them off! If you’re unhappy with your smile, or if you feel self-conscious about crooked teeth, orthodontic treatment can restore the beauty of your smile, making you more likely to feel like showing it off.
To make an appointment for an orthodontic evaluation, please contact Garlock Orthodontics. Our office is located here in Aurora, Colorado.